Invent To Learn Quickstart Guides
- Getting Started with the BBC micro:bit
- Getting Started with the Hummingbird Bit
- Getting Started with the Circuit Playground Express
Essential Reading for Institute Participants
- A Plethora of Curated Progressive Education Resources by Gary Stager (discussed during fireside chat)
- Twenty Things to Do with a Computer by Cynthia Solomon and Seymour Papert
- Computer as Material: Messing About with Time by Seymour Papert and George Franz
- Logo History
- What’s the Big Idea? Toward a Pedagogy of Idea Power by Seymour Papert
- What is Logo? And Who Needs It? By Seymour Papert
- Constructing Modern Knowledge – Uncompromising Constructionism for Teacher Development (This article describes the method behind our institute approach.)
- Invention Literacy by Jay Silver
Invent To Learn Web Sites
The Daily Papert (archives of Papert writing and media)
The Invent To Learn website (oodles of resources)
Constructing Modern Knowledge Press (publisher of books by creative educators for creative educators)
micro:bit getting started
- Handout: Micro:bit getting started with MakeCode plus connecting external motors, LEDs, & speakers/headphones (PDF)
- Gary Stager’s micro:bit project starter Ideas
- Programming Neopixels with MakeCode and the BBC micro:bit
- Super collection of Scratch and micro:bit activity cards and project ideas. (2021)
micro:bit software options
- Microsoft MakeCode programming environment for all devices
- Using micro:bits with Scratch instructions (including necessary Scratch Link software for Bluetooth Mac/Windows)
- Firmware (.HEX file) for using the micro:bit with Scratch
- New programming environments for learning (Fall 2020)
Other stuff to buy (for our workshops & beyond)
More micro:bit resources
- Code Club Micro:bit Project Ideas
- micro:bit Foundation Lessons, Project Ideas, Activities
- micro:mag, the magazine of the micro:bit community
- Books, projects, magazines, tutorials, and other programming languages
A New Block-based Programming Environment (Alpha version – try it out!)
- MicroBlocks programming environment
The Circuit Playground Express
Micro:bit and micro:bit add-on board suppliers and vendors
- Sparkfun Electronics – Specializes in hobbyist electronic components, tools, and kits. Sparkfun micro:bit boards and add-ons. Ask for educator discounts.
- Adafruit – Unique and Fun DIY Electronics and Kits. Check the Young Engineers section for selections that are whimsical and fun. Ask for educator discounts.
- Robotshop – All your robot needs in one place. Robots for home, school, and professional use, plus drones, wearable technology, kits, toys, parts, and apps.
- PiMoroni – “Tech Treasures” abound from this UK based vendor for Raspberry Pi, micro:bit, and other microcontrollers, plus kits, accessories, and tools. The name? It stands for Pirate-Monkey-Robot-Ninja, of course.
- Kitronik – Makes and sells electronic project kits for micro:bit, e-textiles, robotics, and other maker needs. UK-based.
- (Australia) Education Technology Specialists. Micro:bits, add-on boards, and related products.
Hummingbird Bit Robotics
- Hummingbird Bit Web Site
- The Invent to Learn Quickstart Guide to the Hummingbird Bit Robotics Kit
- Super cool Hummingbird Bit mechanism and robot construction ideas
- Hummingbird Bit Curricular Project Ideas
Software for Hummingbird Bit
- Tutorials for using the Hummingbird Bit with MakeCode
- Microsoft MakeCode for the Hummingbird Bit (direct link – otherwise add Hummingbird via Extensions)
- Tutorials for using Snap! with the Hummingbird Bit
Download the Bluebird Connector
Hummingbird project ideas
Tutorials for using multiple Hummingbird Bits or micro:bits with a Hummingbird Bit, including cool ideas for a rover and calibrating the compass.
- Why we love the Hummingbird Bit Robotics Kit
- Program your Own Gameboy! (MakeCode Arcade opportunities)
- Books for creative educators from Constructing Modern Knowledge Press
- The micro:bit Matters – a guide to understanding the micro:bit
- The Invent To Learn Guide to Block Programming
- Complete Invent To Learn Workshop Kit/Handout
- Maker Resources for Educators – All the Invent to Learn workshop handouts, posters, and shopping lists.