- Turtle Art
- Microsoft MakeCode
Resources for each studio
- The Ancona School web site
- A Guide For What to Do in Hyde Park, Chicago | Condé Nast Traveler
- Visit Hyde Park: 2021 Hyde Park, Chicago Travel Guide
- Fromer’s Exploring Hyde Park (with public transit info)
- Things to Do in Hyde Park Neighborhood Chicago
- The fabulous Art Institute of Chicago is open until 9 PM on Thursday and Friday nights, 6 PM on Saturday and Sunday. Book tickets in advance. The Obama Portraits are there during our institute. Additional tickets are required!
- Chicago Architecture Foundation Center River Cruise Aboard Chicago’s First Lady (last cruise at 7 PM Thursday – 5:30 PM other nights)
- 90-minute Chicago River and Lake Michigan Boat Tours (cruises depart as late as 8-9 PM during our institute – check schedule)
- SkyDeck and “The Ledge” at the Willis (nee: Sears) Tower, America’s tallest building (open until 10 PM)
- The Original Billy Goat Tavern (home of the Cheezborger Cheezborger of SNL fame and the Cubs Billy Goat curse) It’s open late, cheap, and literally under the street (in the Miracle Mile)
- Grant Park Music Festival: Sibelius Violin Concerto @ Jay Pritzker Pavilion Saturday, August 7th at 6:30 PM – Free tickets online.
- Navy Pier: Home | Chicago’s Waterfront Destination – Fireworks at 10 PM on Saturday, August 7th!
Essential Reading for Institute Participants
- A Plethora of Curated Progressive Education Resources by Gary Stager (discussed during fireside chat)
- Twenty Things to Do with a Computer by Cynthia Solomon and Seymour Papert
- Computer as Material: Messing About with Time by Seymour Papert and George Franz
- Logo History
- What’s the Big Idea? Toward a Pedagogy of Idea Power by Seymour Papert
- What is Logo? And Who Needs It? By Seymour Papert
- Constructing Modern Knowledge – Uncompromising Constructionism for Teacher Development (This article describes the method behind our institute approach.)
- Invention Literacy by Jay Silver
Invent To Learn Web Sites
The Daily Papert (archives of Papert writing and media)
The Invent To Learn website (oodles of resources)
Constructing Modern Knowledge Press (publisher of books by creative educators for creative educators)
Articles about Teaching Programming
- What’s Your Hurry?
- A Modest Proposal (using Scratch books as reading texts)
- Masterclass archived video – Gary Stager’s approach to teaching programming
- Video – Summer Camp Computing or, Nostalgia for the Future
Books and magazines for programming project ideas
- Recommended resources for many programming languages and books on the Invent to Learn site.
- Hello World – A magazine for teachers and kids about making and computing. Free to download, also free by mail to UK educators.
- HackSpace Magazine – Although published in partnership with the Raspberry Pi Foundation, this magazine offers open source projects for a wide variety of physical computing and fabrication projects. All issues can be downloaded for free.
Basic Computer Games books (pdf form) – great ideas for beginner programming projects.